±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 34832
New Yesterday: 7 Visitors: 118

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Where to sell spare writeblockers?

Discussion of forensic workstations, write blockers, bridges, adapters, disk duplicators, storage etc. Strictly no advertising of commercial products, please.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Where to sell spare writeblockers?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:59 am

Somehow I've managed to end up with a rather large box of USB writeblockers, and I was wondering where would be the best place to sell them? I won't use them at all so want to sell them to first get some return on them. Anyone got any suggestions?

Also - I assume the large amount of sudden sales will perk some interest with HMRC for undeclared income... will any of it be taxable? Have had a look at this tax website but still unsure and could use some advice.

Many thanks Very Happy  

Hyendi

Re: Where to sell spare writeblockers?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 am

Is this an Advert for the website he linked? Seems that way to me...  

AmNe5iA

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is spam.

If not, the OP can probably offer them for sale on the various data recovery forums. We always keep a handful of write blockers around. I'm sure all digital forensics guys do too.

JaredDM

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 pm

- JaredDM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is spam.

If not, the OP can probably offer them for sale on the various data recovery forums. We always keep a handful of write blockers around. I'm sure all digital forensics guys do too.

Sorry guys if this came across as spam, this was a genuine concern of mine Sad

In the meantime, I did post them all on e-bay, and I spoke to my sister's boyfriend who is a trainee chartered accountant, and he assured me that I should not worry about taxes, as if you are not buying and selling stuff regularly, the profit is not taxable. Sorry again, I hope you'll all have a great evening.  

Hyendi

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:41 pm

I find stuff like that on eBay from time to time, mostly old stuff that i do not want.

Could still be good for students/hobbyists to tinker with, so sell em cheap.  

MDCR

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:08 pm

As I see it, this kind of stuff is "problematic" on e-bay in the sense that one has to choose between:
1) actually check the functionality of the thingy (and stating it as functional/tested, and being allowed to ask for a "fair" price for the used item)
OR:
2) sell it as "untested" and of course for a very, very low price.

AFAIK these things cannot actually be repaired if malfunctioning.

Let's say that a given item (possibly a slightly older model) sold new for 200 US$ (or Euro or Pounds).

If it is in condition #1 it may be likely sold for 50-100.
If it is in condition #2 I doubt anyone might want to risk more than 10-20.

jaclaz

As a side-side note, I can't find right now *any* used USB writeblocker from sale on ebay.co.uk Question

jaclaz

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:34 pm

My question right now as a newbie is where to buy writeblockers? I agree with the spam bit, as I over the course of my career haven't yet ever somehow ended up with 'lots' of anything!

ebay has things turn up now and then but there no consistency to it.  

koi.jd

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next