±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35140
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 122

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

About legality of usage of unlicensed forensics tool

Discussion of legislation relating to computer forensics.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

Do you use unlicensed programme?

66%

33%

Total Votes: 24

Re: About legality of usage of unlicensed forensics tool

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:32 am

- jaclaz

Free since when? Shocked

Sorry, good point well made - there is an unlimited and fully featured "evaluation" ... But you are absolutely right, not free beyond the evaluation.

( I have a full Forensic License and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread ... )

azrael

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:07 am

- cs2018
You know forensics tools are very expensive. I am new in this field and I can not afford to buy them at the moment. However there are some forensics tools around whose dongles are emulated or which are cracked.

2 things: one is playing around with hacked versions of commercial tools and the 2nd one is the usage for a court process.
The first case is okay, since you only play around and do not make any money, but experience from it. Using an illegally acquired software to make any money with it is clear "no - go" for me. And I would never ever risk the usage of such a software in front of a judge or the lawyers there....

Bunnysniper

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:34 am

- Bunnysniper

The first case is okay, since you only play around and do not make any money, but experience from it.

Or in other words, using pirated/cracked software for acquiring the experience and competence that will later allow you to make money is OK, it is only when you use it to directly make money that it is not OK. Question

Isn't it like saying that it is OK to drive a stolen race car as long as you do that it for training/practicing, but that you shouldn't actually enter an official competition with it? Rolling Eyes

jaclaz

jaclaz

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:28 am

- jaclaz
- Bunnysniper

The first case is okay, since you only play around and do not make any money, but experience from it.

Or in other words, using pirated/cracked software for acquiring the experience and competence that will later allow you to make money is OK

It is at least a diference for me....somehow he has to make some experience. Any better ideas? Not all vendors offer a trial version. And if he later buys it before he makes money from it`s a usage I really think is "understandable".

Bunnysniper

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:10 am

I still think you'd learn more by pulling down ftk imager, Eric's tools, and the nirsott web browser stuff and running that over a system.
You'd get a bunch done and learn a lot
If you want to carve first then photorec is also free  

randomaccess

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:19 am

It is an interesting question - training providers ( university & others ) quite often have site licenses for a particular product. How do you evaluate other tools if evaluation versions aren't available ?

I would be a complete hypocrite to condemn someone who is using it for training purposes - I'll eat my hat ( wool, flat ) if there is a single person here who hasn't used an unlicensed/pirated bit of software ( or broken the terms of licensing ) or hasn't illicitly copied a film/piece of music/academic paper in breach of copyright - I hate to say it, but the IT industry ( and by extension Digital Forensics ) is built on such things.

Until job adverts stop saying "Experience of EnCase" and start saying "Experience of Forensics Tooling" this is always going to be an issue.

Catch-22

azrael

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:53 am

Answering the OP title "About legality of usage of unlicensed forensics tool", there is no other answer to this then NO. The usage of unlicensed forensics tools is illegal. Using an unlicensed forensic tool related to a live case remains an illegal activity, no matter of any kind of explanations.

Learning or training from "illegal" sources is up to everybody's own conscience to do it or not.
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

passcodeunlock

Page 2 of 4
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next