±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35742
New Yesterday: 3 Visitors: 131

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

iPhone Jailbreak - Anyone Doing It?

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

the_Grinch

iPhone Jailbreak - Anyone Doing It?

Post Posted: Feb 09, 19 01:46

I saw that there is now a jailbreak available for 11.4 and was wondering if anyone is jailbreaking devices in order to get more from their extractions? Assuming you either have the passcode or there isn't one, are you taking the extra step of jailbreaking the device in order to obtain more? Elcomsoft is saying they can obtain a physical on iDevices once jailbroken which got me thinking is this a step I should be taking for devices I receive.  

TinyBrain

Re: iPhone Jailbreak - Anyone Doing It?

Post Posted: Feb 09, 19 06:56

You better take Cellebrite for your issue.  

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Feb 09, 19 12:15

It really depends on the task you need to do...

For example if you need to examine some malware or spyware, which probably is already at root level, you better don't destroy evidence by trying to jailbrake.

If you need to gather more information over a logical filesystem extraction, if documented in the right way, jailbrake can be ok.
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

the_Grinch

Post Posted: Feb 09, 19 21:58

Got it! This was all a hypothetical just to see the value vs risk and to see what others are doing. Obviously, the aim is to get the most evidence as possible with destroying it and the question has to be asked. Thanks as always!!  

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Feb 10, 19 08:36

Before doing this kind of stuff on a live device, ALWAYS try it first on a similar dummy device. If that works as expected, I don't see any major problem repeating the process Smile
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

randomaccess

Post Posted: Feb 10, 19 11:39

Check out Sarah Edwards' research
Some answers you will only get with a jailbreak->file system extraction  

the_Grinch

Post Posted: Feb 10, 19 21:39

Awesome! Thanks I will check her out...seems she has a podcast on iOS forensics.  

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next