±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35535
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 126

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

SHA-1 question

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

lasvegascop

SHA-1 question

Post Posted: Feb 22, 19 02:10

I am doing a child exploitation case.

The files sent via a Law Enforcement P2P RoundUp program are showing a SHA1 value where the alpha digits are exceeding "F". (Base32)

example:
File name: Bla-Bla-Bla.jpg
SHA-1: 61JDINFW6E7YIQZF6LHIHIE4Y4WNY62U

I am not sure if these are coming from NCMEC or the Law Enforcement P2P program or??.

The SHA-1 value reported in FTK is Base 16 is f2123434b6f13f844325f2ce83a09cc72cdc7b54.

I have run into this on nearly every CP case where a P2P (Ares) is used but no one seems to have an answer.

Have you encountered this and if so, have you found any type of converter that will do the conversion (if possible)

If there is some kind of conversion process or program, no one I have contacted, including our ICAC detectives, can provide an answer to that.  

lasvegascop

Re: SHA-1 question

Post Posted: Feb 22, 19 03:34

UpDate. if you do ever run across a SHA1 Base32 and need to convert it to Base16 this converter does the trick. www.darkfader.net/toolbox/convert/  

raydenvm

Post Posted: Feb 22, 19 08:23

To avoid using third-party programs, I suggest going with python. Here are the lines of codes that perform conversion back and forth.

SHA1: From HEX to Base32

python -c "import base64; res = base64.b32encode('f2123434b6f13f844325f2ce83a09cc72cdc7b54'.decode('hex')); print(res)"

SHA1: From Base32 to HEX

python -c "import base64; res = base64.b32decode('61JDINFW6E7YIQZF6LHIHIE4Y4WNY62U', map01=b'I').encode('hex'); print(res)"

Run them in the console having python installed beforehand.

raydenvm

Post Posted: Feb 22, 19 08:34

Or you could use CyberChef playing with recipe if you prefer to run conversion in UI.

Recipe from Base32 to HEX:

[{"op":"From Base32","args":["A-Z2-7=",true]},
{"op":"To Hex","args":["Space"]}]

Recipe from HEX to Base32:

[{"op":"From Hex","args":["Space"]},
{"op":"To Base32","args":["A-Z2-7="]}]

Click Load recipe button to test these ones out

lasvegascop

Post Posted: Feb 22, 19 15:51

Great... Thanks!  

Page 1 of 1