±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 36228
New Yesterday: 5 Visitors: 230

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Reliability of an external enclosure hardware write blocker

Discussion of forensic workstations, write blockers, bridges, adapters, disk duplicators, storage etc. Strictly no advertising of commercial products, please.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

fraudit

Reliability of an external enclosure hardware write blocker

Post Posted: Aug 28, 19 15:08

I have an urgent case to investigate that involves M.2 SSD M-key connector drive. I don't have the M.2->SATA adapter for M-key, so I could safely connect it to my blocker. I can obviously buy one but since this standard is less common than the B-key, delivery will take a few days which I cannot allow.

I can get directly an external enclosure (Icy Box brand) that's equipped with the write blocker. I've never used this type of blocking before and would like to know your opinions on its reliability. Do you find it safe to use?  

Rich2005

Re: Reliability of an external enclosure hardware write bloc

Post Posted: Aug 28, 19 15:41

I've not tried it yet personally (as I've got hardware write-blockers) but Caine ( www.caine-live.net/ ) lists having drivers for the latest SSDs (NVME) so in theory you could image it using that without the need for additional hardware.  

minime2k9

Post Posted: Aug 28, 19 19:46

I'd use a Linux distro and either connect it via USB or put it into a machine and boot the machine to the Linux distro.
Think we use an m2 adapter and then just connect it to a DEFT X machine.  

sovietpecker

Post Posted: Aug 29, 19 06:08

Just as suggested in previous replies, I recommend getting a Linux Distro. Deft and Paladin are exceptional when it comes to handling SSD media. Give them a try and I wish you all the best.  

fraudit

Post Posted: Aug 29, 19 14:47

Thank you all for your tips!

I eventualy went for CAINE (as I used it already before) and did the job.  

Page 1 of 1