±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35667
New Yesterday: 6 Visitors: 140

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

graphics card memory

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2, 3  Next 

calimelo

graphics card memory

Post Posted: May 07, 08 00:14

Hi all,

Has anyone tried imaging the memory contents of a graphics card. Nowadays they are talking about gigs of memories. Is it possible to get any data from that? As everything is a file in linux, good old dd may work.
Or i am just talking about nonsense.

Regards

Kaan  

azrael

Re: graphics card memory

Post Posted: May 07, 08 11:28

- calimelo
Has anyone tried imaging the memory contents of a graphics card. Nowadays they are talking about gigs of memories. Is it possible to get any data from that? As everything is a file in linux, good old dd may work.
Or i am just talking about nonsense.

To the best of my knowledge, the graphics card memory _isn't_ available as a file under Linux. I guess that it would be possible to image it, similarly to main memory, as there are certainly ways to access it directly using APIs. The question is more as to the likelihood of there being anything relevant there that you wouldn't be able to "image" via screen shot ... There are gigs of RAM, but they aren't used in the same way, often holding texture maps, pre-rendered scenes etc. I don't think that they would be holding pre-viewed images though or images of any useful text. I could be wrong !

Having said that, CUDA and the like may allow other data to be present, so it may be good in future.

Experimentation worth doing ?

calimelo

Post Posted: Sep 21, 14 17:18

www.cs.uno.edu/~golden...earch.html

the time has come...

calimelo

Post Posted: Sep 21, 14 17:19

double post...

Last edited by calimelo on Sep 22, 14 19:37; edited 1 time in total

EvaMendis

Post Posted: Sep 22, 14 17:57

Hi,
Your question demand explanation of the concept of Hard Disk Imaging. The hard disk imaging medium of replicating the content present in hard disk . A disk image is created by creating a sector-by-sector copy of the disk.

As disk image contains the content of entire disk,the data can huge and usually omits unused space from the source media and the compress the disk size. hence reducing the storage requirement. For creating a image of hard disk and read the content of graphic card you can use Encase by Guidance Software or FTK Imager by Access Data. These software work very well for creating images of Hard Disk allows us to read the data. These tools may be helpful for you to get your data.  

Last edited by EvaMendis on Sep 23, 14 16:07; edited 2 times in total

jaclaz

Post Posted: Sep 22, 14 18:40

- EvaMendis

Your question demand explanation of the concept of Hard Disk Imaging. The hard disk
imaging is medium of replicating the content present in hard disk

Very, very good answer Smile , though seemingly to a question that was never asked.

Once you can find the hard disk of the graphic card Shocked , making an image of it should be easy, even without Encase or FTK imager Rolling Eyes .

jaclaz

calimelo

Post Posted: Sep 22, 14 19:36

I was referring to GPU RAM.

Page 1 of 3
Page 1, 2, 3  Next