±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35984
New Yesterday: 7 Visitors: 140

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

RCFL or other areas to look into

Discussion of computer forensics employment and career issues.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

CdtDelta

RCFL or other areas to look into

Post Posted: Jan 03, 09 09:02

Hey all,
Back in September I was laid off from my 7 year old job because of a merger. I've been in IT for the last 10 years, and became interested in Computer Forensics about 5 years ago when my former employer was in trouble with the DOJ. I got involved because I was responsible for getting data together for the company lawyers, had to spend some time with the DOJ in their office printing out evidence, and was almost called to trial to testify (was told about 50 ft away from the court room door that the testimony was no longer needed).
Anyway I started reading a lot about CF since then, and had the opportunity to get my CHFI in 2007. Since I've been let go I purchased a passport program through Guidance software and I've been taking all the classes they've been offering (I finished my sixth class last month).
This is really the career direction I want to go into because it's been a lot of fun for me, and I've been trying to target positions in that area. I've also been networking with people in my EnCase classes.
One other opportunity I wanted to look into was the Chicago RCFL. Does anyone know if they hire civilians for those offices? Or are they FBI agents only?
I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any other areas to look into for job possibilities. I talked to a detective I met in one of the classes about doing some volunteer work for them just to build up the experience, but I wasn't sure where else to look. I've looked at the big four firms but they seem to be looking more for people with accounting backgrounds than IT people.

Thanks ahead of time,
Tom

P.S. - I should mention that even though I'm in Chicago, I'm willing to relocate elsewhere in the U.S. (though Chicago is my first choice)  

BitHead

Re: RCFL or other areas to look into

Post Posted: Jan 03, 09 10:09

I would suggest attending the next HTCIA meeting at I.C.E. It would at worst prove to be a networking opportunity.  

CdtDelta

Post Posted: Jan 03, 09 11:06

Do you have any other details you could provide/link to? The HTCIA site didn't seem to be up to date with information on their meetings. Or do you have to register for membership to see the information?

Tom  

BitHead

Post Posted: Jan 03, 09 19:52

The local chapter site will have meeting info as the date gets closer. midwesthtcia.org

You can also check with the Secret Service on meeting times for the Chicago Electronic Crimes Task Force (CECTF).
www.secretservice.gov/...cago.shtml  

CdtDelta

Post Posted: Jan 03, 09 21:13

Thanks I'll check that out. I tried to look at the local HTCIA site last night but their website appears to be down (at least I can't connect to it - keep getting time out errors).

Thanks,
Tom  

CeleryMan

Post Posted: Jan 25, 09 19:45

RCFL's don't hire directly. They are a conglomeration of local police agencies and other law enforcement in the area. Thus, those at the RCFL's are usually on detail (on loan) from another agency.

I was asking the same question a couple of years ago. Oddly, they offer internships, but they cannot directly hire individuals.

The other route you may be able to go is to apply for a FBI job as an agent, and go in through that route (although be prepared to wait a few years...both for the application process, and to actually be working where you want to live).  

Page 1 of 1