±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35535
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 121

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Disk with a k or Disc with a c?

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

Hard drive...

95%

5%

Total Votes: 20

mobileforensicswales

Disk with a k or Disc with a c?

Post Posted: Apr 29, 09 16:45

Random topic I know but its the endless debate when writing witness statements in every company I've worked in...

So disc/k, do you use a c or a k

Does the type of disc/k change the context i.e. hard drive disc/disk and compact disc/disk

Sorry to post such a random topic but everyone seems to have a different opinion on the matter lol

The opinion in my office is if its contained (i.e. floppy, hard drive, flash, zip etc.) use a K other wise use a C  

DFICSI

Re: Disk with a k or Disc with a c?

Post Posted: Apr 29, 09 16:58

'Disc' applies to the shape of the item. Good example is that frisbees, plates, etc are all discs. CD, DVD, Bluray are all disc-shaped and so should be named appropriately. Everything else - disk.

Rich2005

Post Posted: Apr 29, 09 17:24

As far as i'm aware the convention (possible related to Apple i seem to remember) is related to whether its magnetic media or not, ie hard disk, floppy disk, compact disc, digital versatile disc, etc.  

douglasbrush

Post Posted: Apr 29, 09 18:00

Main Entry:disk

Variant(s):
or disc Listen to the pronunciation of disc \ˈdisk\
Function:
noun
Usage:
often attributive
Etymology:
Latin discus — more at dish
Date:

1 a: the seemingly flat figure of a celestial body <the solar disk> barchaic : discus2: any of various rounded and flattened animal anatomical structures ; especially : intervertebral disk — compare slipped disk3: the central part of the flower head of a typical composite made up of closely packed tubular flowers4: a thin circular object: as ausually disc : a phonograph record b: a round flat plate coated with a magnetic substance on which data for a computer is stored cusually disc : optical disk : as (1): videodisc (2): cd 5usually disc : one of the concave circular steel tools with sharpened edge making up the working part of a disc harrow or plow ; also : an implement employing such tools
— disk·like Listen to the pronunciation of disklike \-ˌlīk\ adjective

Main Entry:
disk drive
Function:
noun
Date:

: a device for reading and writing data on a magnetic disk  

Infern0

Post Posted: Apr 29, 09 18:58

- DFICSI
'Disc' applies to the shape of the item. Good example is that frisbees, plates, etc are all discs. CD, DVD, Bluray are all disc-shaped and so should be named appropriately. Everything else - disk.

Yup +1  

Rich2005

Post Posted: Apr 29, 09 19:02

That gets into trouble with Sony Minidisc, for example. Thats square. And if you're counting the internal disc, then all of them are going to be with a c Razz
(Although as that's magneto-optical you could argue both in my interpretation for that Smile )  

Jonathan

Post Posted: Apr 29, 09 20:34

- Rich2005
That gets into trouble with Sony Minidisc, for example.

Nah - Minidisc is a proper noun, while disc and disk are common nouns.

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next