±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36317
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 171

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Overwriten sectors on DVD-RW and CD-RW

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

mscotgrove

Re: Overwriten sectors on DVD-RW and CD-RW

Post Posted: Sep 25, 09 05:22

I think I would have faith in the process if it had been done. It is the same theory for hard drives and the success rate is sometimes quoted as about 50%. Unless one can get 95%+ of a sector, then I would suggest that it is not worth trying.

Has any tried this with worth while results?  

code_slave

Re: Overwriten sectors on DVD-RW and CD-RW

Post Posted: Sep 25, 09 12:25

Hi,
That's why I asked if it was a research project, besides someone has to go first , but frankly it is way beyond what most forensic examiners would be capable of doing.

Relying on data exiting the DVD/CD cable interface is a non starter, becasue the whole device is geared up to extracting the last viable content. that has passed thrugh the error recovery and correction algorithms.

The best you can get by coming in via the connecting cable is to override the requirments for an existing file system.

If I was not already working on a research project ,I would actually liked to have given this a go.  

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2