±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 36006
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 120

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Falsifiability in Digital Forensics (was VPN)

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

seanmcl

Falsifiability in Digital Forensics (was VPN)

Post Posted: Jun 11, 10 18:24

In a recent discussion related to the use of VPNs for digital forensics I mentioned the notion of falsifiability as a means to determine the validity (or lack, thereof), of potential hypothetical objections on the grounds that evidence may have been contaminated. I mentioned a paper by Brian Carrier in which he argued for the application of Popper's notion of falsifiability to determine when a claim is scientific.

While I do have the PDF of this paper, I have (since) discovered that the paper, and his PhD dissertation wherein he discusses this are both online:

www.digital-evidence.o...gories.pdf
www.cerias.purdue.edu/...006-06.pdf

Also, I have found two NIST papers on forensic examination of cellphones and PDAs which discuss falsifiability as it pertains to Daubert challenges:

www.iwar.org.uk/comsec...800-72.pdf
csrc.nist.gov/publicat...00-101.pdf

This topic is particularly interesting to me because it was the crux of my argument that another investigator's opinion on wiping was unscientific because it could not be disproved (there was no affirmative evidence of wiping).

In any event, enjoy!  

ForensicRanger

Re: Falsifiability in Digital Forensics (was VPN)

Post Posted: Jun 11, 10 22:27

Great links - thanks!  

Page 1 of 1