±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 36006
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 129

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

XWays Forensics

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 

Jonathan

Re: XWays Forensics

Post Posted: Aug 07, 10 13:51

I know a fair few people use X-Ways Forensics to verify the analysis they've carried out using other tools, but shouldn't it be the other way around? X-Ways Forensics has become my main tool; in my experience it's more stable, has more features and it extracts more data.

Rampage

Post Posted: Aug 07, 10 17:32

- Jonathan
I know a fair few people use X-Ways Forensics to verify the analysis they've carried out using other tools, but shouldn't it be the other way around? X-Ways Forensics has become my main tool; in my experience it's more stable, has more features and it extracts more data.

and it's less expansive Smile
it's an important thing for ppl that are starting up their lab and don't have much money to invest  

moodhairboy

Post Posted: Aug 07, 10 20:35

Rampage,

The price can't be beat compared to other for pay tools - I've always wondered whether the forensic linux distros could offer the same value for free. One of these days I might figure it out. I've found that for drives FTK can't image - Xways becomes my 2nd choice and usually can. Occasionally that doesn't work and then I have another issue like a mechanical failure. Currently dealing with this issue with a batch of 400 seized drives.  

afpffi

Post Posted: Aug 08, 10 06:26

Hey Barry,

I’m in the West Palm Beach Area.

I’m pleased to see we have found alternative software other than the big two (Encase & FTK). My list of application is, and in no particular order:
• FTK
• Encase
• XWF Pro
• Helix pro and Yeah I paid for the sub to, and it has paid for itself 10 times over
• PRTK ( AccessData)
• Encase Password Recovery
As a sole practitioner I found it difficult to do without the software law enforcement has been using. I prefer to use the same software they use, as a side by side comparison. I will then run the data with alternative software I may feel will yield better results. A majority of my case load is defense oriented, and working with defense attorneys or corporate clients also in the defense capacity.

I hope this helps.

Anthony  

MrWh1t3

Post Posted: Aug 08, 10 08:04

I have the $3,500 - $4,000 for EnCase or FTK, but it seems crazy to buy until I get a job. Especially when XWays is half the price. I guess buying EnCase or FTK software would pay off quicker than one-semester of college would. A semester of college is easily $4,000 with books.

Interview wise I think one would be better off learning FTK or EnCase, but XWays seems like a GREAT tool for the price.

I guess I would ask, "Do I want an interview with another company, or do I want a great tool?" If the tool is all one is after go for XWays. If you're after the interview go with FTK or EnCase.  

PaulSanderson

Post Posted: Aug 08, 10 13:07

- MrWh1t3

Interview wise I think one would be better off learning FTK or EnCase, but XWays seems like a GREAT tool for the price.

What an odd thing to say. As someone who has been an interviewer in the past I would not really care whether you had used either of these packages - frankly you can pick up the basics in a day. I would however be very interested in what you know about file system fundamentals, the structure of the registry, meta data in world files, what sort of information is left behind by P2p applications, how you would go about determining what is left behind for an app you had never seen......

It is not what you use but what you do with it. That you had gone out and spent your own money on encase would not impress one bit.

Forensic Toolkit for SQLite
sandersonforensics.com...for-SQLite 

jamie
Site Admin

Post Posted: Aug 08, 10 14:37

In fairness I don't think it's that odd and I suspect MrWh1t3 wouldn't disagree with your follow up comments, Paul. I think he's just saying if you're trying to get an interview at an Encase shop and you can show prior experience with that tool then it's a point in your favour (not a shoo-in).

Jamie  

Page 2 of 5
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next