±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 35647
New Yesterday: 9 Visitors: 168

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

FSS to close

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2, 3  Next 

Mark-Larson

FSS to close

Post Posted: Dec 14, 10 21:27

joethomas

Re: FSS to close

Post Posted: Dec 15, 10 14:20

I'm surprised this hasn't got more replies. It's shocking. I have no idea how the police are going to cope. Surely it's more expensive for them to have to set up their own labs, hire people and train then, buy equipment, etc, than to employ an external service?  

BenUK

Post Posted: Dec 15, 10 14:24

Presumably it'll all just be outsourced at vast expense. Police forces certainly won't be hiring anybody new in any role for a good long while.  

Xennith

Post Posted: Dec 15, 10 14:40

- joethomas
Surely it's more expensive for them to have to set up their own labs, hire people and train then, buy equipment, etc, than to employ an external service?

Nope. This is why the FSS is leaking money. Big forces can do it in house for less, small forces can get it done privately for less.  

BenUK

Post Posted: Dec 15, 10 14:50

- Xennith
- joethomas
Surely it's more expensive for them to have to set up their own labs, hire people and train then, buy equipment, etc, than to employ an external service?

Nope. This is why the FSS is leaking money. Big forces can do it in house for less, small forces can get it done privately for less.

I don't know how small forces can do it privately for less - forces currently pay for each submission they make to the FSS, who now appear to have been operating at a loss. I'd be interested to see how their fees compare to those of the companies that move in once they're gone.  

DFICSI

Post Posted: Dec 15, 10 15:17

If ANY force can do the work for less why do they put out tenders? It can't just be to clear backlog.

The article on the Independent's website said that the police have assured MPs that they will continue to cut outsourcing costs.

I doubt FSS will be the last to go by any means. I don't see how people can do police work for less than £1000 per computer and still turn a profit AND do a good job.

I wonder what will happen to FSS' newly acquired MET computer forensic contract?

Jonathan

Post Posted: Dec 15, 10 16:30

- DFICSI

I doubt FSS will be the last to go by any means. I don't see how people can do police work for less than £1000 per computer and still turn a profit AND do a good job.

Exactly. Certainly appears that the recent Met contract awards favoured price over quality. Am relieved that I'm not involved with contracted police work, as it looks like it's turning into a race to the bottom.

Page 1 of 3
Page 1, 2, 3  Next