±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 35670
New Yesterday: 8 Visitors: 160

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Forensic Embedded Systems Engineer, London, £36,118

Basic listing free. Premium listing includes listing on Forensic Focus homepage and RSS newsfeed, notification sent to Forensic Focus Twitter followers, a post to the Forensic Focus Facebook page, a post to the Forensic Focus LinkedIn Group and guaranteed inclusion of a link in the Forensic Focus newsletter. Learn more.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

SteakAndEggs

Re: Forensic Embedded Systems Engineer, London, £36,118

Post Posted: Apr 18, 11 11:38

- jhup

What is a "£1,883 London allowance"?
Is this monthly, making it £36,118+ (12 x £1,883) for a year?

Monthly? I wish!

It's an annual amount, paid in monthly installments, to workers in the public sector where the salary is on a national scale and is intended to help defray the extra living costs of working in the capital. There is a greater allowance for inner London.

HTH,

S&E  

pragmatopian

Post Posted: Apr 18, 11 11:52

'London weighting' is typically paid to public sector employees as a way to compensate them for the higher cost of living in London while keeping them on the same basic pay scale as public sector workers nationally.

Some private companies add a similar additional amount to posts based in London, but more typically they simply offer higher base salaries for London-based posts.

The weighting amount specified is an annual amount: not monthly.  

jhup

Post Posted: Apr 19, 11 05:05

How would one compare the income in UK (Eu), vis-à-vis US?

I presume there are a few additional expenses that the either the government or the company picks up, and there are non-financial compensations, etc?  

pragmatopian

Post Posted: Apr 19, 11 11:55

It's very difficult to say: there's a lot of variation depending on the type of organisation you're working for, the role you're fulfilling and between EU countries. There's also substantial variation in the income taxes and social charges between EU countries.

Generally I don't think the differences are sufficiently clear to justify moving either to the US or to the EU based primarily on salary. Also bear in mind that obtaining work permits may be an issue for US nationals and some positions may require citizenship: similar issues would be faced by EU nationals moving the other way.  

4Rensics

Post Posted: Apr 19, 11 13:42

I hate to say it but £36k for London is pretty poor and on the bottom end of the scale, you would just about scrape by for housing and a limited social life on that. Any kind of life in London and you need to back end of £40k to have some sort of life and a half decent house/flat.

Saying that though, I was called a while back about for forensic role in London for £25k, I peed a little with laughter... don't get me wrong, a job is a job, but you would struggle to live and be up to your eyeballs in credit card debts!
I was there last weekend before a stint in Slough doing forensic training at Guidance and I spent near £130 in two days, and thats staying at a friends, no hotels. By the time you got some food, drink, your oyster around London, its all added up... now try and live and do that every weekend, good luck!

Just my two cents for these companies looking for super skilled employee's for the capital and offering pittance in return!

[I await the barrage of people saying it's really easy to live on £25k in London...] Smile  

hmorgan

Post Posted: Apr 19, 11 13:52

- 4Rensics

I was there last weekend before a stint in Slough doing forensic training at Guidance and I spent near £130 in two days, and thats staying at a friends, no hotels. By the time you got some food, drink, your oyster around London, its all added up... now try and live and do that every weekend, good luck!

[I await the barrage of people saying it's really easy to live on £25k in London...] Smile

here goes.
£130 ?

Dinner at the Ivy was it ?  

4Rensics

Post Posted: Apr 19, 11 14:01

Well, I'm my defence it was bottles of wine and jugs of Pimms (the sun was shining, it would be a crime not to) Wink

Other than that, cheap take away food, taxi's and underground... all adds up unfortunately!  

Page 2 of 4
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next