±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 33165
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 189

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

Scott Moulton’s “5-Day Data Recovery Expert Certification”

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Re: Scott Moulton’s “5-Day Data Recovery Expert Certific

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Ghost Writing? Never mentioned it.

My review is based upon what you wrote. As a member of this site and many others for a good number of years, you get to know people and your name has never come up. But, here is a review of a class, and if I don't know you or anything about you, then it makes it much harder ride along with the review based on other things you have reviewed, worked on, or talked about.

This was a discussion on the article, I was merely trying to do that.

To the point about the stand, you're correct, I don't do something specifically because someone else said do it/buy it, but a recommendation from another person who I have read their review before and then for myself tried things out and arrived at the same conclusion, goes a long way.

(actually it goes longer than that last sentence)

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

armresl

Re: Scott Moulton’s “5-Day Data Recovery Expert Certification”

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm back after a long day away and have updated the review with some background on Karlo. Speaking personally, I found it a useful review and I'm grateful to him for taking the time to put it together.

Jamie  

jamie
Site Admin

Re: Scott Moulton’s “5-Day Data Recovery Expert Certification”

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Honestly? I've done my best to keep a low profile so it isn't too surprising you had no clue who I was, where I came from, or what qualifies me to write a review (besides the obvious which is attending the class, and yes, I guess the missing bio may have added to the concern)

I am a member of a slew of InfoSec/IR/Forensics/Data Recovery groups but rarely post and if I do, it's 99% of the time under a pseudonym. Having one of the few names on this planet that 100% means that if you google it, you will find information about no-other-than-me has some severe disadvantages in our super-connected world, so I'm not surprised that you and likely others had to ask themselves "Ok, but.. whothehell is this guy?!"

This review is the first in what I hope will be a series of ways in which I can contribute back to the communities that have been so kind and helpful in providing their knowledge to the masses (regardless of if their advice went unheeded or followed).

I'll be speaking in August at the GFIRST conference put on by CERT/DHS so if any of your guys will be attending that in Nashville, TN, USA, I'd invite you to come listen to my talk on Incident Response techniques via the windows command line.

@Jamie: Thanks for putting up the bio info as well.  

madmex

Re: Scott Moulton’s “5-Day Data Recovery Expert Certific

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:08 pm

I know this is an old thread but I would just like to add that I have recently taken Scott Moulton's 5 day course in Washington and can't rate it highly enough. It is intensive and you will need to have a very good knowledge of computer software and hardware before you even think of taking this course. Everybody on the course worked in IT in some capacity or other.

Personally, I am more interested in the data recovery side but the forensics are very interesting and will no doubt come in useful. While you can't learn everything in 5 days you will get a thorough grounding in whole data recovery/forensics area. More importantly, you are given advice on how to keep increasing your knowledge after the course.

It is up to you to keep up your interest in the subject after the course ends and if you don't it will be a waste of your time and money to attend.

On my course there were 8 of us comprising someone from the DEA in Washington, A member of the Canadian police and 2 other Canadians who ran an IT business. There were 2 US citizens and there was also someone from the Cook Islands who wanted to expand his IT business into data recovery as presently all such work in his country was being sent to New Zealand. I come from London in the UK where I run my own computer repair business.

I think this shows the interest this course generates in a subject it is very hard to find anything about. If there was anything I could change about the course is I would have liked 2 weeks to learn even more from somebody who knows his subject inside out.  

alfarom

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2