±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36312
New Yesterday: 7 Visitors: 207

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Is FTK.log optional?

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

t3chb0y

Is FTK.log optional?

Post Posted: Jun 05, 11 16:22

Hello,
Using FTK 1.82, is the FTK.log an optional feature?...I would like to have it turned off. I understand that much of what the log records is optional, but I don't want any recording at all. Is the FTK.log optional in any FTK version?
Thanks.  

armresl

Re: Is FTK.log optional?

Post Posted: Jun 05, 11 21:57

What have you tried to do in order to see if it's optional or not?

Checked or unchecked a box, excluded it from a case, etc.

quote="t3chb0y"]Hello,
Using FTK 1.82, is the FTK.log an optional feature?...I would like to have it turned off. I understand that much of what the log records is optional, but I don't want any recording at all. Is the FTK.log optional in any FTK version?
Thanks.[/quote]

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

twjolson

Post Posted: Jun 06, 11 03:49

If you are talking about what I think you are, and if my memory serves me, even if you disable all the logging options presented during case processing, it still logs some things.

Out of curiosity, why would you wish to disable logging?  

t3chb0y

Post Posted: Jun 12, 11 05:09

Thank you for your replies and attempts to answer. I was subpoena'd to testify for the defense in a CP trial this past week. The prosecutor and federal forensic examiner swore that no ftk.log had been produced, that it was optional within FTK and he disabled logging because he didn't want anyone to know what his search terms were. Turns out he burned his FTK case file to the same drive as his EO1 files which I was asked to examine, and lo and behold....there was his 'non-existent' FTK log. 650 pages which they swore didn't exist so therefor couldn't be provided to the defense.  

Page 1 of 1