±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36296
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 163

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Finding passwords

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

mscotgrove

Finding passwords

Post Posted: Aug 29, 11 19:31

This is a slightly idle Bank Holiday question that I do not seem able to find a simple answer for.

Cracking passwords by brute force means testing every possible password, which in a recent question was thought to be over 900 years at 5 million tests a second.

5 million tests a second sounds a lot (even allowing for writing code in assembler and may be using graphics cards for some of the calculations). Therefore the test must be fairly simple, and I presume only working on a very short buffer.

Can someone point me in the correct direction for understanding these tests, (any relevant URLs) and how does the test know that the answer is correct - assuming no plain text example.

Does a cracking program for AES-256 work very differently in WinZip, WinRAR, maybe PDF files, or is the principle the same for all program types.

A source code example would suit me best

Page 1 of 1