±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36453
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 184

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

O2's Network Issues

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

Doug

Re: O2's Network Issues

Post Posted: Jul 12, 12 19:28

Re-used the same handset and clone card that earlier this morning and I have now failed to replicate the authentication.

It looks like the network might be functioning correctly again, at least as far as my test parameters show.  

trewmte

Post Posted: Jul 13, 12 10:40

Doug

Please could you provide the link to the Twitter feed you read so that we can read it too?

Are you able to post the cloned list of all EF files from the original card and then selecting from the list the content of certain cloned EFs from the cloned card?

Can you confirm whether the clone was from an O2 GSM (icc) or 3G/GSM (uicc)

I agree that your tests could produce results that you have found, particularly where network is signalling A5/0 or a null value.

This is not the first time a cloned card when tested has been enabled to make and receive calls.

Thanks
Mobile Telephone Evidence & Forensics trewmte.blogspot.com 

trewmte

Post Posted: Jul 15, 12 17:09

- trewmte
Doug

Please could you provide the link to the Twitter feed you read so that we can read it too?

Are you able to post the cloned list of all EF files from the original card and then selecting from the list the content of certain cloned EFs from the cloned card?

Can you confirm whether the clone was from an O2 GSM (icc) or 3G/GSM (uicc)

I agree that your tests could produce results that you have found, particularly where network is signalling A5/0 or a null value.

This is not the first time a cloned card when tested has been enabled to make and receive calls.

Thanks

Doug any chance of this info?
Mobile Telephone Evidence & Forensics trewmte.blogspot.com 

Adam10541

Post Posted: Jul 16, 12 06:29

The twitter post/feed that the OP referred to has since been deleted by the original poster  

Doug

Post Posted: Jul 16, 12 18:22

I have sent a PM to discuss requirements.

For more information the tests were both done using USIM (UICC), one from the O2 network and one from Tesco. The O2 phone was a Galaxy SII and the Tesco phone was an iPhone 4s.  

cyrus

Post Posted: Jul 17, 12 10:48

I saw this story the other day explaining the outage a bit more

www.theregister.co.uk/...age_cause/

I would imagine you could connect for a short time due to issues mentioned here with user authentication, but this seems to be fixed now with o2.

For those that don't know, sim clones are designed to fail authentication with the network by sending an incorrect challenge response. I would imagine in this case (as has happened in the past when clone cards have connected), the authentication process was not done on each connection to reduce stress on the network.
I believe in past cases, some networks would authenticate on the 10th (or maybe 20th?) connection, and assume you were fine to connect in between that, allowing clone cards to connect until challenged.  

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2