±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 3 Overall: 36459
New Yesterday: 5 Visitors: 162

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Phone Hearing Systems and strange behavior ???

Discussion of legislation relating to computer forensics.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

athulin

Re: Phone Hearing Systems and strange behavior ???

Post Posted: Sep 25, 12 20:54

- artshocx
i want to know IF a microphone actively recording a hearing is able to, without user action, instruction, programming, etc., decide to leave the hearing space and return seemingly at will?

What you describe -- at least as far as I understand it -- is not entirely uncommon in phone conference systems (and similar services) that are under some load: one participant gets switched somewhere else. I've ended up in a totally different conference myself a number of times.

I don't know about recording, though -- but any recording tap must be connected somewhere -- either on one user's audio streams, or at some notional 'hub' in which all users are considered to be connected. It won't 'leave' ... but the audio streams it is connected to may be shunted around-- which would makes the record 'leave' the original session.

You need to find a tech expert on the equipment actually used, and the services involved in the kind of setup you describe -- and perhaps also someone who knows about user or customer complaints related to this particular kind of service.

It could be something as simple as the service being dimensioned for, say, 7 users/callers, but in this case there was one additional. The extra user/caller could experience odd system behaviour, particularly if the system was under some load.  

jhup

Post Posted: Sep 25, 12 23:54

I can do Greek, even some Koine if pressed.

Why are you stuck on the microphone? Were you tasked with "find out if the microphone was meddled with" or "find out why there are odd seconds not part of the conference call on the recording"?

As athulin suggests, and I have stated before, it is very unlikely this has anything to do with the microphone. You are thinking too narrowly.

If this PBX (or, gasp! a key system) and recording system is owned and maintained by the courts, I would not be surprised if it is miss-configured, overloaded, outdated and has a slight left limp.

Dig into the details of the switch and the recorder - whatever they are.

To answer your question - not likely. A microphone by itself will not switch an inbound call to an other line. It has know knowledge of the call, what it is attached to, as a matter of fact, it doesn't even know it exists.

- artshocx
wow i feel like i am speaking Greek LOL. but this is good practice because i will have to do a better job of explaining this, so… you really are helping me figure out how to explain this effectively Smile

forget about why or how the call was transferred or who was calling who, none of those things are important. my question is about the hearing's audio file placed into evidence and its content, which includes:

- the judge starts the recording, judge calls the other participants, including my client, to bring them into the hearing space, presumably inside the PBX somewhere, wherever that is, etc. (do not yet have system specs)
- and you hear the entire uninterrupted hearing up until my client's line is transferred out
- following that you hear: tones, clicks and ringing mostly consistent with a line being transferred
- and then, audio of my clinet's line outside of the hearing space, presumably elsewhere in the PBX until she hangs up
- after my client hangs up, there is some room tone, etc., but you seem to hear again the audio back in the hearing space where the judge concludes the hearing, ends the call and stops the recording

i want to know IF a microphone actively recording a hearing is able to, without user action, instruction, programming, etc., decide to leave the hearing space and return seemingly at will? i suspect the answer is no. however, if it can i am interested in how this could happen. and then i am hoping to find someone who might know for sure? does that make more sense? thanks.

jaclaz

Post Posted: Sep 26, 12 01:03

- artshocx
The main line is typically the one used by the initiator of the hearing call, the judge, and establishes the hearing space, into which the judge must call each of the hearing participants and on which the audio recording device is focused for the length of the hearing. Anything, within this space will get recorded; any line transferred out of the hearing would be cutoff and end up out of range. Does that make more sense? I hope?

Just to notify how I completely failed to understand what actually happened (facts as reported by the customer), let alone the technical part you attempted to detail.

This could well mean that I am gettig older (which is true) but there is the possibility that you might need to improve your skills in exposing them.

What is a "hearing space" in plain English?
A room?

What I understood is the following:
1) a judge made a session as a "phone hearing" i.e. participants were not physically present in the same room as the judge was but they were called by phone and a conference system/hands free kind of apparatus was used
2) these "phone hearings" are recorded
which prompts for questions:
HOW EXACTLY?
Was it a recording device connected to the PBX, to the conference system/hands free apparatus or was it a common "room" recorder/microphone?
If you prefer, does the recording apparatus record what is said in the room and what comes out of the conference system/hands free set loudspeaker or does it record whatever sound goes through the telephone line?
HOW EXACTLY does the recording device work?
Which media does it record on? (cassette tape/hard disk/SD card/whatever)
Is the recording "analogic" or "digital"?

Without answers to these questions, IMHO every hypothesys (and the contrary of them all) are good.

jaclaz

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2