±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35868
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 152

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

The rates of pay

Discussion of computer forensics employment and career issues.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next 

trewmte

Re: The rates of pay

Post Posted: Oct 04, 12 09:56

As an update regarding experts/witnesses, competency and evidence the UK Criminal Procedure Rules and the Civil Procedures Rules have been updated and came into force on the 1st October 2012.
Mobile Telephone Evidence & Forensics trewmte.blogspot.com 

trewmte

Post Posted: Oct 04, 12 10:19

- trewmte
As an update regarding experts/witnesses, competency and evidence the UK Criminal Procedure Rules and the Civil Procedures Rules have been updated and came into force on the 1st October 2012.

Apologies; forgot to add links:

www.justice.gov.uk/cou...s/criminal
www.justice.gov.uk/cou.../rulesmenu

www.justice.gov.uk/cou...ules/civil

Also have a look at this Bar Council discussion:

www.barstandardsboard....eparation/

What is the relevance of the above links to the main topic of discussion about rates of pay? The identification of responsibilities and skillsets needed for dealing with forensics and evidence in addition to the person actually have the level of knowledge, skills and experience relevant to the actual work involved for evidence gathering and teh same for the science involved in the field of endeavour in which the person works (technology, medicine, accounting etc etc).

jhup

Post Posted: Oct 04, 12 22:26

As Larry D wrote the rates I have seen range from about $100 to about $500 for private-hire work.

I do not have court ordered work rates, but I presume it is very much driven by the region.

I have seen primarily three ways of charging - by data size, by the hour, and some hybrid of the two.

When by size, all charge by size on disk - this is an important distinction, specially if dealing with e-mail in .MSG or .eml format on a large-cluster drive.

When by hour, it is almost always full hour, instead of the 6- or 15-minute lawyer time.  

trewmte

Post Posted: Oct 05, 12 02:03

- jhup
range from about $100 to about $500 for private-hire work.

So that is approximately between £62 p/h to £308 p/h; so fairly similar to the UK then.

armresl

Post Posted: Oct 05, 12 14:15

Sup Jman,

$500 is just ridiculous, I've said that before, say it again.

While you don't have the 1/4 phone calls, I do bill .10 per email that I have to read and respond to with anything over Yes, no, OK on the way, etc. and the .10 is my travel, consultation, and phone rate, which is well under half of my forensic rate.

I've met two people I'd pay $400 an hour to (which I think should be the top) and they are by far the best I've ever seen without a doubt. I've also met people who actually charge $400 and I was grossly embarrassed for the person they were charging, because they were 5 or 6 years out of college, got MAYBE 10 cases a year and actually stumped on something so basic, that you'd throw your monitor if you heard their thought process. So what do they do, go immediately to the forums and ask. Then call the client with that answer without testing it or anything.

This is 2 tiered, so please make sure that you know I mean both. I also believe that if you are a life long investigator, or a lifelong computer geek AND you get hired on with alphabet soup to get your CART cert, then you are one of the baddest dudes on the planet. Last week I looked over the newest requirements to get and maintain the CART cert for a person, and it's grueling. From A+ to mock trial absolutely incredible.

- jhup
As Larry D wrote the rates I have seen range from about $100 to about $500 for private-hire work.

I do not have court ordered work rates, but I presume it is very much driven by the region.

I have seen primarily three ways of charging - by data size, by the hour, and some hybrid of the two.

When by size, all charge by size on disk - this is an important distinction, specially if dealing with e-mail in .MSG or .eml format on a large-cluster drive.

When by hour, it is almost always full hour, instead of the 6- or 15-minute lawyer time.

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

Jonathan

Post Posted: Oct 05, 12 14:38

To clarify; the rates that trewmte posted are the maximum rates that the UK government pay experts instructed in Legal Aid cases (cases where the defendant is deemed unable to afford their legal representation).

jhup

Post Posted: Oct 06, 12 02:06

Most of the $500+ (yes, +) rates are from big-name firms.

Their clients are not paying for better service. They are paying for a better name.  

Page 2 of 12
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next