±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 3 Overall: 36632
New Yesterday: 7 Visitors: 125

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Startup Advice

Discussion of computer forensics employment and career issues.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

keydet89

Re: Startup Advice

Post Posted: Jul 05, 06 20:56

> What is the going rate for forensic consulting? For example, how much
> would one charge for an examination of a hard drive?

I know you're going to hate this, but it depends on several factors.

First off, what does "examination" refer to? What are the requirements? Locating a specific file is very different from "find all bad stuff". Break it down like this...requirements analysis, examination/analysis, and report writing. Requirements analysis involves things like interviewing the customer to determine what they're looking for, developing keyword lists (as applicable), etc. This can take 1 to 4 hrs, depending upon the case load, knowledge and interest of the client, ability of the examiner to elicit the necessary information, etc. Examination/analysis of the media takes into account the specific skill sets and tools of the examiner. For example, performing Registry analysis of a Windows image in EnCase will take a long time for me, b/c I'm simply not that familiar with it. However, performing the same task in ProDiscover is much easier for me, due to my knowledge of the tool, what I'm looking for, the interface, the fact that I have ProScripts already written to automate many tasks, etc.

As far as reporting goes, that's generally 4 - 8 hrs for a skilled examiner.

In a nutshell, you can expect to charge 24 - 48 hrs for even for some "simple" tasks. The billing rate per hour is up to you, and should be based on the assets you allocate to the task.

Harlan  

jsbarnes

Post Posted: Jul 05, 06 22:39

Good information, but ...

24-49 hours ... at what rate? I.e., what is the typical charge for such an investigation?

keydet89

Post Posted: Jul 06, 06 04:13

Jeff,

> ... at what rate?

Well, like I said, "The billing rate per hour is up to you". Generally, junior examiners are billed out at a lower rate than senior examiners. The rates you use really depend upon things like the skill level of the examiner, the going rate in your area (rates in LA, San Diego, NY, and Wash DC are likely to be higher than in smaller cities...).

Harlan  

irwincur

Post Posted: Jul 06, 06 04:47

Thank you for the good advice. Looks like I will have to do more research in the field - but I am sure that it won't hurt in the long run. I may at this point try a few different things out to see what kind of return there is.

Also, what are the 'best' certs? There are so many and it seems that there is a total lack of direction in the field. Is there one that screams out to potential clients as being necessary?

jsbarnes

Post Posted: Jul 07, 06 17:22

Ok, let me simplify the question ...

If I am not in a major US market, but in a mid-level market (think Cincinnati OH, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO, Indianapolis IN, etc.). I want to be competative but not charge too much for a "new" service. On the other hand, I don't want to charge too little, since I have a diverse and extensive IT background. PLEASE, I'M BEGGING ... just give me some ballpark figures so that I'll know I'm in the right range. I promise I won't hold you to those figures.

woodland

Post Posted: Jul 21, 06 04:36

Why is it that people on this forum do not like to talk about the
amount of $$ they charge for their services?  

debaser_

Post Posted: Jul 21, 06 05:56

Its like the best restaurants in town - if you gotta ask how much it is then you dont belong there

Edit: This was a joke. Some places dont put prices on their menus.  

Page 2 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next