How to extract cont...

Notifications
Clear all

How to extract contents of CurrentDatabase_372 wmdb file

hlg33
(@hlg33)

Hello there,

I am looking for a tool (preferably free) that would allow me to extract the contents of a (Windows 7 generated) Windows media player database file, ie the CurrentDatabase_372 file.

I looked at the FAQ and didn't find anything that would address the question (except for a 2006 dated short thread) and have found (courtesy of Google) the "WMDB Extractor for CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb " which is part of a comprehensive suite of dozens of Tools, part of the suite proposed as a full package by SC ("Simple Carver").

Since I only need that particular functionality (extracting contents of the CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb), I am looking for alternatives.

Thanks!

Hervé

Topic starter Posted : 12/04/2014 3:27 pm
jhup
 jhup
(@jhup)
Community Legend

What database tools have you tried so far?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2014 7:00 am
hlg33
(@hlg33)

None, so far.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/04/2014 2:07 pm
Nizmon
(@nizmon)

Hey,
I wrote a tool at uni that extracts information from the WMDB in Windows 7. I will have to have a dig around for you and find it, it's written in Java. What type of metadata are you looking for, mine extracts metadata around files viewed, dates/times viewed, file name, file path, when it was added to WMDB?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/04/2014 4:55 am
jhup
 jhup
(@jhup)
Community Legend

None, so far.

Personally, I would try to find an existing database tool that might open it up first.

It might turn out to be something simple, like a MyISAM or a flavor of MS Jet DB.

Have you tried to reverse engineer it yourself? Several FOSS and commercial products allow you to map data into a template. WinHex or 010 Editor come to mind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/04/2014 5:16 am
hlg33
(@hlg33)

Thanks, jhup and nizmon,

Actually, the "WMDB Extractor for CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb" tool from SC (Simple Carver) I mentionned in my initial post just did the job so I'm a happy camper now.

Many thanks again for your support,

Best,

H

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/04/2014 11:08 pm
jhup
 jhup
(@jhup)
Community Legend

Tant pis.

From my perspective, I enjoy to be on the opposing counsel's stable for such work's review.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2014 12:27 am
Share: