15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
jblakley
(@jblakley)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

All,

I'm testing a theory, but it's failing. I had 4 files on a thumb drive. This drive was formatted with ntfs. I reformatted the drive as ntfs, and I'm trying to get the data back. The MFT shows to be from yesterday when I formatted the drive, so I know the MFT is new. Is there a way to get this data back? Using fls, I only show the following

r/r 4-128-4 $AttrDef
r/r 8-128-2 $BadClus
r/r 8-128-1 $BadClus$Bad
r/r 6-128-4 $Bitmap
r/r 7-128-1 $Boot
d/d 11-144-4 $Extend
r/r 2-128-1 $LogFile
r/r 0-128-1 $MFT
r/r 1-128-1 $MFTMirr
r/r 9-128-8 $Secure$SDS
r/r 9-144-6 $Secure$SDH
r/r 9-144-5 $Secure$SII
r/r 10-128-1 $UpCase
r/r 3-128-3 $Volume
d/d 256 $OrphanFiles

I'm trying to look at the $MFTMirr, but I'm not able to see anything from it. The only thing I can get back from it are it's attributes using istat.

I'm going to copy more files back to this drive, and then do a quick format instead of a full to see if there is any change. So, the main question is Is there a way to truly get data back if the drive's been formatted?

Thanks!
John

Posted : 08/09/2010 7:53 pm
(@mscotgrove)
Prominent Member

It does depend which version of Windows you used to format. XP will just write the MFT again, while Windows 7 (often) erases every sector. The late, the data is lost.

For a quick format, the method I use is to scan the whole drive to find any existing MFT entries. With a new format, there are often old entries, but not part of the current $MTF file. Not every MFT entry you find will be valid, but many will and a very high level of recovery is possible. All the files you list above will be new, and so have no knowledge of previous information on the drive.

A similar process can be used if the format changed from NTFS to FAT, or FAT to NTFS, ie sarch for previous directory entries.

If all else fails, then there is always data carving, but this should be considered a last resort as most file meta data will be lost. Data carving will indicate if there is data to be found.

Posted : 08/09/2010 9:52 pm
jblakley
(@jblakley)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

It does depend which version of Windows you used to format. XP will just write the MFT again, while Windows 7 (often) erases every sector. The late, the data is lost.

I did use Windows 7 to format this usb drive. I could retest this with Windows XP to see how I could recreate the data. Do you have any tips on how to recreate or even find the data from the $MFT after a format?

Thanks for the response! (Nice blog btw…I'll be reading it. )

John

Posted : 08/09/2010 10:02 pm
(@mscotgrove)
Prominent Member

My 'biased' answer is the (demo) of my software does have a wizard function to do what you require. I am sure that other software packages can also perform the required steps to discover unallocated MFTs.

My suggestion for your testing is to fill the thumb drive with known files, JPEGs can be good as they are easy to view. After a format, look at sectors that where used and see if blank or not. If not blank, then investigate recovery methods

Posted : 08/09/2010 10:34 pm
(@tonyc)
Eminent Member

As mscotgrove said, if you used Windows 7 FULL FORMAT the data is gone. Beginning in Windows Vista Microsoft changed the behavior of the format command. In both Vista and 7 a FULL format, which is the default, writes every sector with 0x00. The data is gone and is not recoverable. See http//support.microsoft.com/kb/941961

In Windows XP neither a FULL format nor a quick format overwrite the data. In Vista and 7 a quick format also will not overwrite the data.

Software such as GetDataBack or any other similar tool will be able to recover most of the data from a Windows XP FULL or quick format or a Windows Vista or Windows 7 quick format.

TonyC

Posted : 09/09/2010 1:37 am
(@bgrundy)
Trusted Member

Do you have any tips on how to recreate or even find the data from the $MFT after a format?

Assuming you can test on a quick formatted volume (no zeroing), then I would look for MFT Entry signatures. When you reformat a volume with NTFS, it will write a basic $MFT with only those entries that are required. This means that entries from the OLD MFT will still exist on the disk, but not be visible in the new MFT. You SHOULD be able to find old entries if the new volume had less files (in theory).

Since you started using TSK already, I would use blkls to carve out the unallocated space from the newly formatted volume - so that you exclude the new MFT and it's entries - and search for old MFT entry signatures using sigfind and a sector offset of 0 with the signature "FILE". If you find that, then you can look at the next 42 bytes for information on the file attributes (I'm sure you can find the structure of an MFT entry somewhere). The entries should be 1k in size (so carve them out with 2 block using dd).

Even just looking through the resulting blocks (with xxd, for example), you should see recognizable attributes like the file name.

HTH,
Barry

Posted : 09/09/2010 2:37 am
jaclaz
(@jaclaz)
Illustrious Member

A (seemingly unrelated) thread that may interest you
http//www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=145574

A couple of apps that may also be of use
http//dmitrybrant.com/ntfswalker
http//softdm.com/

For the record, unlike what a lot of people apparently thinks, the $MFTMirr is pretty much useless, as it consists of ONLY the first 4 (four) records of the $MFT.
Obviously once you re-format, it represents the mirror of the first 4 records of the NEW $MFT, unless you changed CONSIDERABLY the partition size (thus causing the new $MFT and $MFTmirror to be "somewhere else") or you used a NT system that uses a different "default" for the placement of these structures - like Windows 2000, in which case the OLD filesystem structure may be not overwritten.

jaclaz

Posted : 09/09/2010 8:55 pm
jblakley
(@jblakley)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

A couple of apps that may also be of use
http//dmitrybrant.com/ntfswalker

That's a very handy piece of software!

I ended up using TestDisk to get the data back from the formatted drive. That's a very good piece of software too. I did test some things though, and here's what I found.

Like everyone here has already said, Windows 7 full format completely gets rid of the data. Here's what I did

1. Copy files to thumbdrive (TB) and full format on WinXP. Data recoverable with TestDisk.

2. Copy files to TB and Quick Format on WinXP; Data recoverable using TestDisk.

3. Copy files to TB and Quick Format on Windows 7 Data recoverable using TestDisk.

4. Copy files to TB and Full format on Win7 Data is NOT recoverable; nothing found with TestDisk.

Thanks for everyone's response!
John

Posted : 09/09/2010 9:10 pm
jaclaz
(@jaclaz)
Illustrious Member

Here's what I did

Yep ) , that's exactly what is expected.

But the OP (unless I got it wrong) was about (partially) recovering data after BOTH a non-destructive format (i.e. any 2K/XP/2003 one or a /q Vista/7/2008 one) AND a partial overwriting with new files (in which case TESTDISK won't be useful).

jaclaz

Posted : 09/09/2010 10:46 pm
jblakley
(@jblakley)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

partial overwriting with new files (in which case TESTDISK won't be useful).

jaclaz

I didn't try overwriting after the format initially. I just wanted to see how I could recover data should I ever run into a formatted drive issue D

Thanks!

Posted : 09/09/2010 10:48 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: