Clear all

Digital Forensics Final year project

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@robbuxton97)
Topic starter

hi everyone,

I am a final year student about to embark on my dissertation/project and was wondering if anyone has any ideas or even works in law enforcement that has a suitable project in mind.

I would ideally like to work around smart home devices or IOT 

any help is appreciated

regards

Rob 

Posted : 27/09/2020 5:22 pm
Dunkjt74
(@dunkjt74)

An area to consider, if you're still looking for ideas, would be to study devices such as Alexa, Google Home etc and investigating what artefacts are recoverable. 

Likewise, with their use relating to linked devices (lights, speakers etc), are any relevant artefacts seen on those devices?

Just an idea, but one that may prove useful to other forensic practitioners.

Kind regards.

Dunk.

Posted : 06/10/2020 2:57 pm
(@gregkam1221)

Hey Rob,

I recently finished up my Thesis and I wrote about the potential physical threat that IoT devices pose towards law enforcement. Iot devices can be triggered by one phrase and wipe all your data, shut off the lights, or potentially create some physical harm such as an explosive. There is not much research on this topic but I was able to create a simulation to show that this can be a problem moving forward. If interested you should create a simulation and research it more. I think this can be a serious problem facing LE moving forward as technology advances and gets easier.

Take care

Posted : 14/10/2020 3:54 pm
Share: