Notifications
Clear all

ExFAT version 2

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@carrier)

I'd also be interested in seeing the image or at least the results of if The Sleuth Kit works on it. We just incorporated ExFAT support, but it is not officially released (the source is up on github though). I can send you a compiled version though.

Posted : 23/01/2014 9:22 pm
jaclaz
(@jaclaz)
Illustrious Member

Also, we would need to "rebuild the history".

AFAIK

• exFAT (1.00) was born in 2008 and is NOT transactional
  • TexFAT (1.02) was introduced by Windows Embedded CE 6.0 (circa 2010)

See
http//msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee490643(v=winembedded.60).aspx

The not so trifling difference between the two above is that though not very popular for a few years, the exFAT is "available" on *all* MS systems since XP (with a specific KB update), on MAC's and in Linux, while the TexFAT was "confined" to Windows Embedded CE.

The "paradigm shift" in common use of it has been IMHO the Windows/MAC compatibility and the licensing to third parties such as RIM, Panasonic. etc. (lately even BMW), while TexFAT is nowhere to be found.

Now, in the meantime we had (after Windows Embedded CE 6.0), based on the same "core"

• Windows Embedded Compact 7
  • Windows Phone 7 <- this one went up to 7.8 with a "main" intermediate step at 7.5

Later releases, such as

• Windows Phone 8
  • Windows 8 RT

should have a different "core" or "base".

So it is possible that *anything* 8 has not the TexFAT at all, and that the known 1.02 version is (was) only on Windows Embedded CE 6.0.
What remains to be understood if this version 2.00 is "limited" to Windows Phone 7, if it is also on Embedded Compact 7" and if it is "still" in Windows Phone 7.5 and more generally in Windows Phone 7.x or (say) only in Windows Phone 7.8.

The OP source is a Windows 7 (generically) Phone, it would be IMHO "strange" that noone came across this, since though possibly with a limited diffusion, it's some time that such phones are around
Windows Phone 7 -> November 8, 2010
Windows Phone 7.5 -> September 27, 2011
Windows Phone 7.5 "Tango update" -> Summer 2012
Windows Phone 7.8 -> January 30, 2013

It would be interesting to link these version to one (or more) specific releases or to specific phone Manufacturer/models.

jaclaz

Posted : 24/01/2014 1:43 am
(@mcman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

The image definitely has customer data on it so I'm not too sure how much I can share without a lot of sanitizing. I'll definitely run it against an up to date version of TSK and see what I get.

I'll check back with the customer to get some additional details on the source of the image file which can hopefully address a few of the questions that jaclaz brings up. I recall the mention of a Lumia 710 but the TexFAT was only a single partition from a bigger image that I wasn't given (maybe an SD card).

I'll report back what I can find.

Posted : 24/01/2014 2:58 am
CyberGonzo
(@cybergonzo)
Estimable Member

I'm chiming in for the sake of an email notification when a new post is added to this thread.

And I'm interested in checking an image file as well.

Posted : 17/02/2014 9:56 am
(@sdenis)

I have seen two TexFAT file systems like this from Windows 7 phones and the only tool that was able to interpret the filesystem properly was X-Ways.

Posted : 28/02/2014 8:13 am
jaclaz
(@jaclaz)
Illustrious Member

OK, someone noticed, in 2012.
http//aut.researchgateway.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10292/4123/LeY.pdf?sequence=3

I won't comment on the actual utility/level of the thesis. 😯

jaclaz

Posted : 01/03/2014 11:34 pm
CyberGonzo
(@cybergonzo)
Estimable Member

Should anybody run into a TexFat image, I'd love to have a look at it.

Posted : 24/04/2014 11:02 am
(@s3ttr4)

Hi, there's any news about the analysis of TexFat partition?

Posted : 09/08/2014 4:48 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: