is this absurd or l...

Notifications
Clear all

is this absurd or logic way to erase Flash memory?

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@williamsonn)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Do you mean that, not even a governtment expert can revover any MEANINGFUL fragment, for example a track of music or a part of it?

Posted : 10/02/2013 2:53 am
jaclaz
(@jaclaz)
Illustrious Member

Do you mean that, not even a governtment expert can revover any MEANINGFUL fragment, for example a track of music or a part of it?

Define "part". roll

Please explain how - even if recovering a WHOLE track of music was possible (it is NOT) - would this somehow prevent selling the used item and/or compromise your privacy and/or have any legal consequences to you and/or have any worth of note consequential effect of *any* kind.

jaclaz

Posted : 10/02/2013 5:08 pm
(@williamsonn)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

jaclaz When I said "part" I am referring to, for example, half, of a song of a recording.

Then, I am not speaking of legally compromising anyone. I was asking, first, if a sd card, or an mp3 player, or a pendrive could be totally erased, so anyone could get back anything. From your previous answer, I understood(dont know if correctly), it was near impossible, and ever more impossible to get back any meaningful data.

Thanks.

Posted : 16/02/2013 11:56 pm
(@williamsonn)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

(By the way,about this subject, perhaps anyone could be interested in I tried to recover different times something from an mp3 player or a pendrive using different easy recovering tools like recuva and never got anything.)

Posted : 17/02/2013 12:00 am
jaclaz
(@jaclaz)
Illustrious Member

Again, you initially talked of being unable to recover "any previous stored data" and to "100% delete".

Just like in the "companion thread"
http//www.forensicfocus.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=10233/

the whole point is that there is a difference between 100% and (say wink ) 98.37% which is what you are deleting with CCleaner or similar.

jaclaz

Posted : 17/02/2013 5:59 pm
(@belkasoft)
Estimable Member

Then, I am not speaking of legally compromising anyone. I was asking, first, if a sd card, or an mp3 player, or a pendrive could be totally erased, so anyone could get back anything.

With flash memory, you are stepping into probabilistic forensics. There is no definite, 100% answer to your question. The answer to your original question would be "yes, that technique works good enough" in a sense that the end user will not be able to recover anything from the device after the wipe procedure you described. There is also a very good probability that even a forensic expert will not be able to recover anything, or at least nothing meaningful. And there is a 0,0…01% chance that some chunks of data may be recovered from the flash chips after the wipe due to redundand storage capacity and the way wear leveling operates.

You can read http//articles.forensicfocus.com/2012/10/23/why-ssd-drives-destroy-court-evidence-and-what-can-be-done-about-it/ to get an idea on what happens with information stored on certain types of solid-state memory (that includes higher-capacity pen drives and certain high-capacity players but not yet SD cards, as far as I know).

Posted : 18/02/2013 7:00 pm
jhup
 jhup
(@jhup)
Noble Member

How much are you willing to take this device apart, and then put it back?

How much is the device worth on the street?

Posted : 20/02/2013 2:10 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: