Salted Hash Decryption

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@harshbehl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi Guys

Is it possible to decrypt the salted hash ($P$B)? or to get the simple hash back from it? I have the salt which was used for encryption. Can TPR (Tableau Password Recovery) do this? Kindly suggest the ways if its possible.

Thanks in advance.

Posted : 29/09/2016 11:13 am
(@mobileforensicswales)
Reputable Member

Sorry if I've missed the point of this? What hashing algorithm is being used?

Hashcat handles salted hashes but you need to run it by hash type as they are of course all different and give different hash exports when provided a salt and password values to try…

Posted : 29/09/2016 5:34 pm
(@athulin)
Noble Member

Is it possible to decrypt the salted hash ($P$B)? or to get the simple hash back from it?

That's what Wordpress uses, isn't it? MD5 with something like 8000 iterations?

Possible … yes, from a technical point of view. No promises how many years you will have to wait, though.

I think your best is hashcat, preferrably with a supported GPU. If the password is 'easy', it won't take too long.

Posted : 30/09/2016 12:21 am
(@harshbehl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Is it possible to decrypt the salted hash ($P$B)? or to get the simple hash back from it?

That's what Wordpress uses, isn't it? MD5 with something like 8000 iterations?

Possible … yes, from a technical point of view. No promises how many years you will have to wait, though.

I think your best is hashcat, preferrably with a supported GPU. If the password is 'easy', it won't take too long.

Yes you are right. Its from wordpress. I am trying to decrypt it with hashcat over a GPU. Left it running over the weekend. Will share the details tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Posted : 02/10/2016 11:21 pm
Share: