Clear all

Advice needed on Flasher Boxes!

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@mitesh1985)
Topic starter

Afternoon All,

Im looking into software with the ability to circumvent handset locks.
No particular handset in mind, just general software.
Im aware of the Polar Box, Superclip Centurion, Shu-box etc, what is the software of choice, and are any considered forensically sound?

Thanks

Posted : 27/03/2009 7:13 pm
(@forensic-bob-2)

Mitesh1985,
Do you mean SIM-locks or the security code of the handset?
I have been using the JAF box for a while now. Here is what I can tell you about it
1. It supports all Nokia and Siemens phones.
2. It can unlock SIM-locks. Depending on the type of phone you may need to buy credits from JAF to unlock
3. It is possible to recover security codes for Nokia DCT4 models and BB5 models N-series phones. I have tested this.
4. Is it forensically sound? Not 100 % sure, but it appears to be a read-only action if you read the security code. The SIM-lock unlock does alter data.

Posted : 13/05/2009 1:43 pm
(@biedubbeljoe)
Eminent Member

Mitesh1985,
2. It can unlock SIM-locks.

Yeah right… wink

Posted : 14/05/2009 3:13 am
(@mitesh1985)
Topic starter

Thank you forensic-bob,
We were just looking to acquire the handset locks, and now have purchased the Universal Box.
This supports a wide range of handsets, Nokia (DCT-3 DCT-4 and BB5), Ericsson (UMTS, EPOC, A1, and S1), LG, and Siemens.
It’s very straight forward to use and does the job efficiently… at times.

Posted : 15/05/2009 3:24 pm
(@forensic-bob-2)

Mitesh1985,
2. It can unlock SIM-locks.

Yeah right… wink

Hm, I think I was not clear here. With SIM-lock I mean the SIM limitation on the cell phone, not the PIN or CHV code of the SIM.

Posted : 18/05/2009 9:33 pm
Fab4
 Fab4
(@fab4)
Estimable Member

I've recently started mobile phone forensics, having always previously focussed on PCs. I understand that the various breeds of flasher boxes are used by forensic analysts but I' not altogether clear for what purposes they are used.

I'm gathering from reading threads like this that they can be used to recover security locks and the like. In what other circumstances to you use them? For example, can they be used to extract a physical dump from a handset unsupported by XRY and the like?

Thanks in anticipation.

Posted : 03/07/2009 1:26 am
alex101
(@alex101)
Estimable Member

In what other circumstances to you use them? For example, can they be used to extract a physical dump from a handset unsupported by XRY and the like?

Simple answer is yes… sometimes. The flasher box's are not always 100% reliable in that they are not designed for forensic work but, they can help recover data that is not readily available from the likes of XRY, XACT, UFED etc.

Also remember that just because a handset is listed as supported by a flasher box doesn't mean that a physical memory dump is possible. It may just mean that it supports unlocking the handset from a network or that you can upgrade the software. Important points to note if your working with a tight budget.

Posted : 03/07/2009 2:10 pm
Fab4
 Fab4
(@fab4)
Estimable Member

Thanks alex101.

Does anyone else find other 'forensic' uses for flasher boxes?

Posted : 03/07/2009 7:35 pm
(@biedubbeljoe)
Eminent Member

Bypassing handset lock codes.

Posted : 04/07/2009 12:23 pm
(@jec-1)

they can be used to get last (and previously) used SIM details so you dont have to lose the call records when using HACs

Posted : 09/07/2009 9:25 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: