Faraday Protection

25 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Forensication-can-be-fun
(@forensication-can-be-fun)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I am looking into the possibility of using a faraday box in which to conduct an examination of a mobile telephone. Does anyone have any experience using these or can point me towards an informative website?

Thanks

Posted : 20/03/2009 3:02 pm
(@mobileforensicswales)
Reputable Member

I've had my eye on some of this phone mesh for a while

http//www.bkforensics.com/Phone_mesh.html

But I have also heard of train companies coating their train windows in a film to stop people in the silent cabins using their mobile phones. Its quite good by the sounds of it but only has a small MHZ range so maybe not perfect to cover a custom box

Hope this helps D

Posted : 20/03/2009 3:29 pm
Forensication-can-be-fun
Eminent Member
Topic starter

with enough of that material it may be possible to cover an entire lab?
Thanks for your response.
/edit bk forensics email address bounces my email back. "sorry it didnt work out twisted ".

Posted : 20/03/2009 3:59 pm
(@thepm)
Reputable Member

We bought the Paraben Stronghold Box last year and I have to say that I'm quite disappointed with the product.

First, within a few months of use, the shielded gloves used to manipulate the phone in the box pierced.

Also, the handles to lock the box's door aren't stiff enough and with time, the door has become loose enough to allow some signal to pass.

Finally, the box is not very practical when you need to capture photos or videos of the phone's interface because the window is almost opaque.

We've looked into other possibilities like using a small cell phone jammer inside our lab or using special paint on the wall to block the signal. We finally decided to invest and buy a 12' x 10' "Faraday Lab". If you'd like, I could post the website of the company that manufacture those things.

Posted : 20/03/2009 4:33 pm
Forensication-can-be-fun
Eminent Member
Topic starter

the thing with these faraday boxes/bags what is the facililty for data extraction? what provision is made for data-cable connection & download?

Posted : 20/03/2009 5:26 pm
(@thepm)
Reputable Member

For the Paraben box, there is a shielded USB and Serial DB-9 port. So, inside the box, you can plug your cell phone data transfer cable and from the box to your computer, you can use a standard USB or DB-9 cable.

Posted : 20/03/2009 5:32 pm
(@trewmte)
Noble Member

F-c-b-f you know you really do not have to use any radio dampening barriers or clone test SIM cards at all.

There is nothing in UK law that enables a police officer or public authority investigator to stop the delivery of a communication to an intended recipient. Equally it can be technically impossible for a communication service provider to stop the transmission of a communication or recover messages that are awaiting delivery to a device that has either been disconnected from a network or been switched off by the investigator or examiner.

Posted : 20/03/2009 5:41 pm
Forensication-can-be-fun
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Does anyone out there have experience with Faraday tents/cages? whats the verdict?

Posted : 20/03/2009 6:07 pm
Forensication-can-be-fun
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for your response Trewmte, I am primarily concerned with the overwriting of stored data by incoming transmissions, calls, deleted text messages, etc. Certain tools on the market are now able to recover deleted data in much more detail than previously available, this necessitates the prevention of incoming transmissions, thereby preserving this deleted information. I am aware that as soon as the handset is powered on certain information is updated and therefore changed, but steps have to be taken to ensure that stored data remains unchanged as a result of the examination process.

Posted : 20/03/2009 7:26 pm
bigjon
(@bigjon)
Estimable Member

FCBF OVERWRITING OF STORED DATA? TEXT MESSAGES WILL NOT BE OVERWRITTEN AS THEY DONT ENTER THE HANDSET AS SUCH, THERE IS A MESSAGE DISPLAYED TO TELL YOU THERE ARE MESSAGES WAITING TO BE READ,INDEED IF YOUR INBOX WAS FULL YOUR HANDSET WOULD NOT LET YOU READ THE WAITING MESSAGES UNTILL OTHERS ARE DELETED BY YOU, THE ONLY ITEM BOX YOU WILL OVERWRITE IS THE MISSED CALLS DIRECTORY,( AS THE HANDSET IS POWERED UP YOU MAY "RECEIVE" A CALL)
When you power on SOME handsets they update yes….but this is done by the internal clock/calendar setting so your faraday cage wont help you anyway as it doesnt need the airwaves to do it.
Lastly Home office rules state that post seizure text messages not only CAN be read they MUST be read, now if you use your Faraday cage to protect yourself from airwaves and, presumably you would the copy some details of SIM to access handset, when do you get YOUR post seizure messages FARADAY?….no thanks

Posted : 20/03/2009 8:27 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: