Open Source Android Forensics application now available

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
ahoog
(@ahoog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm happy to announce we just released the beta version of our OSS Android Forensics application. Full details are at

http//viaforensics.com/android-forensics/open-source-android-foreniscs-application-beta-released.html

If you are interested in testing or contributing (we are looking for a few good Java developers), please contact me off list. Thank you…we hope that by released this as OSS, it is a service to the forensics community.

Posted : 25/02/2010 9:21 am
 Doug
(@doug)
Estimable Member

Andrew,

I look forward to having a play with this later!

Are you hoping for users to send feedback? Do you have a set of information you would want to know for each test such as software version on the handset and if the device was rooted or not?

Regards

Posted : 25/02/2010 3:39 pm
ahoog
(@ahoog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Doug,

Great. Yes, testing to make sure the app executes, stores the data and then how well it is stored would be very helpful. Know the model and Android version will allow us to test/recreate any issues. We have a lot of work to do (Unicode support, for example) but wanted to get this initial app posted. Thanks.

Posted : 25/02/2010 4:41 pm
 Doug
(@doug)
Estimable Member

*Goes to dig out G1 and HTC Magic*

Posted : 25/02/2010 5:24 pm
 Doug
(@doug)
Estimable Member

Andrew,

I assume this needs to be installed via the ADB?
Any particular settings that you recommend being on (Other than the typical 'Allow Unknown Sources' and 'USB debugging'

Thank you

Posted : 25/02/2010 7:03 pm
ahoog
(@ahoog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Correct, I install via adb (I will try hitting the .apk from the Internet directly). Try installing without "Allow Unknown Sources" first…I do not have that set on my Droid or a G1 and it works just fine. We will sign the .apk if needed to get around that (eventually).

-Andrew

Posted : 25/02/2010 7:58 pm
 Doug
(@doug)
Estimable Member

Is there anyway to install the application without going through the ADB at all?

Obviously we do not want to download any file manager applications in a real investigation. It is one thing that I feel is lacking from 'droids, the ability to manage files is pretty handy!

Doug

Posted : 25/02/2010 8:09 pm
ahoog
(@ahoog)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

No need to install file managers. Few points to consider

- You can download the .apk via the device's browser but in that case, you will need to enable the "Allow Unknown Applications" option. We will look into signing the .apk to avoid.

- If you install from adb, this is not an issue

- Once you run the application (the name is viaForensics), you can copy the .csv files out in 1 of three ways

1. Mount the SD Card on the computer via the device
2. adb pull /sdcard/forensics c\temp
3. Remove the SD Card and then attach directly to a computer

Definitely should not install a file manager.

Posted : 25/02/2010 8:54 pm
 Doug
(@doug)
Estimable Member

Andrew,

My colleague has just been having a play and we can report success on a G1 running the following

Model Android Dev Phone 1
Firmware 1.5

The build is a jesusfreke and the handset is rooted.

Looks like a promising project. My colleague will be attending your training course on Monday so I am sure the ways to work with the application and expand it will become clear!

But initial testing looks promising. Just sorting out the presentation of the data that will be entertaining!

Posted : 25/02/2010 9:59 pm
(@alexc)
Reputable Member

Hi Andrew, I have a bunch of other content providers from 3rd party apps that I decompiled and investigated (notably the official Facebook app) le mw know if you want them!

Posted : 25/02/2010 10:11 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: