4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
nickfx
(@nickfx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Evening,

I'm investigating images originally taken by a Samsung SGH F480 phone. The model is clearly tagged in the metadata. However, the dates embedded in the metadata do not agree with the date the offence was committed, causing us some difficulties.

Does anyone know if the phone date/time in that model came from the firmware via setting it yourself or from the network? I just can't find anything on it and do not have access to the original phone or the same model.

Any help appreciated.

Nick

Posted : 04/06/2013 1:56 am
(@coligulus)
Estimable Member

I can't comment unequivocally but I would be fairly confident that the date/times you are seeing were set by the local clock and consequently will be unreliable if the date/time on the device was set incorrectly.

Posted : 05/06/2013 12:43 pm
(@ebwahlberg)
Eminent Member

How far off is the date? It may be Samsung's internal calculation of the date.

Posted : 07/06/2013 9:35 pm
bigjon
(@bigjon)
Estimable Member

Nick, this is not necessarily for yourself but maybe others reading the forum in general
We always steer the same scenario when talking time and date issues with our investigators

Set your handset time and date back three days,/today being Friday/ ring it from another phone, reject the call, then, reset your time date back to correct.
You will see you have a missed call from Tuesday 1239 (for eg)
This is how basic the time date issue is and must never be relied on, it is taken with the largest pinch of salt
Even if the metadata shown it to be correct, it can still be questioned as to how reliable is it?

Posted : 28/06/2013 11:11 pm
Share: