Clear all

Linux Data Forensics course, March 2006, Ontario

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@farmerdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

For those in Ontario (or those interested in getting to Toronto ) ) looking to leverage Linux as their platform for Data Forensics in analyzing most any type of system I'll be teaching just outside of Toronto March 13-16 at Peel Police HQ. You can find more information if you're interested here;

http//www.htciaontario.org and http//www.htciaontario.org/training.htm

Questions, flames, etc., ping me direct!

regards,

farmerdude

Posted : 11/02/2006 9:21 am
Jamie
(@jamie)

For future reference, will everyone please note promoting ANY commercial ventures (including paid training courses) is not something permitted in the forums. The registration agreement is fairly specific about this.

By all means mail me the details and I'll be happy to add a news item to both the front page and the training page if appropriate.

I'm not singling you out, farmerdude - and I'll leave this post in place this time - but I need to be fairly firm as I don't always have the time to moderate the forums as much as I'd like at the moment

Kind regards,

Jamie

Posted : 11/02/2006 3:58 pm
(@farmerdude)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Jamie,

I guess I missed the registration agreement coverage for this. I apologize for this. Definitely remove my post if it doesn't fit, I don't have any problems with that.

But, this begs a few questions…. )

1) This section is "Training". Is it not appropriate to put training information in this section?

2) Reading through the Training posts, there seems to be two types of messages. A) What do you think of such and such course. And B) Does anyone know of a course that does this.

It seems that this area would be appropriate for a few types of information (posts); announcements of training courses (perhaps limited to one announcement), review of training material, questions about training courses, etc.

I guess I'm only curious as to why you cannot post an upcoming training opportunity that fits perfectly with the the title for the "Training" section, "Computer forensics training issues."

Are you limiting this section to only asking about training classes, but not providing details on courses that may be of interest?

thanks!

farmerdude

Posted : 11/02/2006 7:46 pm
Jamie
(@jamie)

I guess I'm only curious as to why you cannot post an upcoming training opportunity that fits perfectly with the the title for the "Training" section, "Computer forensics training issues."

Fair question, the answer being that obvious commercial promotion (i.e. announcements rather than responses to requests for information) tend to encourage others to do the same and would allow the forums to take on the kind of tone I don't want to see. In order to prevent that happening I try to be fairly strict on commercial posts across the board, if I'm not, and operate some kind of double-standard, I then need to deal with people claiming that it's unfair that some can advertise in the forums while they can't. Right now there just aren't enough hours in my day for me to do that.

Are you limiting this section to only asking about training classes, but not providing details on courses that may be of interest?

Of course not, that would render the forum pointless. The distinction between promoting your own product or service (and when I say "your" I'm speaking generally, not referring to you specifically) and mentioning details of such a course if someone asks for information may appear subtle but I've learnt from experience, both here and elsewhere, that it's the best way to keep the forums in good order.

And just to stress a point made previously, if someone does have an upcoming course or product announcement I'm more than happy to receive the details with a view to publishing them on the news/home page and/or any other appropriate section, it's just the forums I want to keep in check, especially as the time I have available for moderation is limited.

Sorry if that sounds petty, guys and gals.

Kind regards,

Jamie

Posted : 11/02/2006 8:55 pm
Jamie
(@jamie)

PS Anyone interested in further exposure is more than welcome to advertise "officially…"

http//www.forensicfocus.com/advertising-introduction

Funds received go back into PPC advertising of the site itself.

Kind regards,

Jamie

Posted : 11/02/2006 10:00 pm
Share: