Clear all

Applying for a job....Sept/Oct 2012

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ccorlett7)
Topic starter

Hi,

I have graduated from Northumbria University with a BSc (Hons) Computer Forensics degree. On completion of this degree I moved home to the Isle of Man and I am currently a software tester for a company based over here. This decision was made in order to allow me to save some money for travels over the summer 2012.
However, my plan is to get into the forensics industry upon my return which will be September or October 2012.

My questions are
1) Does anyone know companies who will be recruiting now for a start date that far in advance?
2) Any tips how to keep 'fresh' in the forensics world? Light reading, tutorials and example cases etc?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Posted : 13/10/2011 2:33 am
(@ccorlett7)
Topic starter

Anyone got any ideas that will help me?

Posted : 04/11/2011 7:15 pm
(@alastairfay)
Eminent Member

If you are unable to get into the industry immediately, perhaps look at gaining experience in other areas?

Systems' Administration, Networking, software development, etc.

Posted : 10/11/2011 8:30 pm
steve862
(@steve862)
Estimable Member

Just to put my two pence in there.

I'd say get yourself work whilst you look. Don't be ashamed to do low level or basic jobs but keep looking for something better, or for the right job.

It's amazing what you can learn from working in various jobs. Certainly if you can get IT work for now then you'll get to know alot about operating systems, which is very important.

More importantly if you support users you quickly get to see how different people think and how different people use their computers. Considering what we do is prove what people did and didn't do on their computers, I'd say that's relevant knowledge.

Steve

Posted : 10/11/2011 10:17 pm
(@ccorlett7)
Topic starter

I am currently working for a company that develops mobile phone applications as a tester. Whilst not my ideal role, it is experience in the working environment and earns some pennies.

When will companies start to advertise for vacancies with a start date around Sept/Oct 2012? This is when I intend to start any employment if possible.
I would be open to relocation around the UK or abroad if needs be.

Anyone know of vacancies being advertised now?

Posted : 16/11/2011 3:29 pm
Share: