How can I read the data from a Night Owl DVR hard drive?
How can I open video files off a Night Owl SP DVR hard drive?
- We bought a Night Owl DP2 and it failed within a couple months.
- Night Owl offered to replace it, but wouldn’t assist in data recovery.
- Of course, we need the data so we had a local computer shop remove the hard drive and recover the files.
- Night Owl, (being the cheapskates they) are voided our warranty for opening the unit- not a huge deal, as the data is what’s important.
- Unfortunately, THE RAW DATA IS NOT .MOV, .AVI or MP4. It’s nicely organized into dated folders with .sql and .db files but the video files are chopped up into thousands of 16.8MB .stream files that appear to be encoded?
- Now here’s the punchline: A Night Owl phone representative said they used to offer software to read the data, but not anymore... (Gee, thanks) Night Owl refused to give us any further assistance or information because the unit was opened.
I'm done with Night Owl. I wish I would have read the reviews of this GARBAGE COMPANY and their abysmal customer service. Is there anyway to open or view these files in video format?
Probably not what you want to do, bit if there is nothing wrong with the hard drive you could buy another night owl DVR and put your harddrive in it. Also sometimes these DVRs include the software to play the folders in then too. You might even find it on the hard drive.
Another option is to try finding a wired CCTV player that can somehow play the files. There are a lot of them about on the internet.
I would be interested in hearing how you get them to play if you manager it.