Virtualize Windows ...

Notifications
Clear all

Virtualize Windows 2012 Server Question  

RSS
olifer
(@olifer)

I have a case mounted up in EnCase v6.19 and typically use VFC2 to virtualize the guest OS however I currently have a case where the guest OS is running Windows 2012 Server which appears to be unsupported by VFC and am looking for an alternative solution to get it running. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Posted : 13/05/2014 9:15 pm
jaclaz
(@jaclaz)
Community Legend

… the guest OS is running Windows 2012 Server which appears to be unsupported by VFC and am looking for an alternative solution to get it running.

"appears" means that it is not among the list of supported OS's or that you tried using it and it did not work?

I don't think that Windows 8 (please read as Server 2012) has introduced particular changes to the workflow of a Physical to Virtual conversion (though of course it is well possible that VFC has some parts "hardcoded" for a number of OS's that do not include 8/2012).

You can try manually with Virtualbox, following this
http//www.slideshare.net/bsmuir/booting-an-image-as-a-forensically-sound-vm-in-virtual-box

You can use Arsenal Image instead of FTK imager for mounting the image
http//arsenalrecon.com/apps/image-mounter/

jaclaz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2014 10:02 pm
Chris_Ed
(@chris_ed)

Hi Dan,

I've had a few instances where VFC2 hasn't detected the OS and it's still worked fine. Have you tried setting it to something like Win7?

Bear in mind that it should let you create the VM files even if it hasn't correctly detected the OS. Once you've done this, you can change the type of OS in whichever version of VMWare you're using. I'm not personally sure what difference it makes (i.e, is it just labelling) but if you have a recent enough version perhaps it will let you set it at that stage?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2014 1:40 pm
olifer
(@olifer)

Thanks guys. I have gotten VFC to work now in building the VM. My next battle is to get VMPlayer to actually boot it up but we're getting closer.

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2014 5:32 pm
Share: