How to join 233 .dd...

Notifications
Clear all

How to join 233 .ddimage files (backup of my old computer)?  

RSS
Dave_Without_a_Clue
(@dave_without_a_clue)

Hello everybody,

my computer recently gave up on me. I couldn't get to the login windows screen anymore, but I did manage to create backup files with a recovery DVD I found, but it just made 233 separate .ddimage files. I did some googling and found that this must be some linux based process and frankly I don't understand much about that.

I have downloaded the "Access Data FTK Imager", but I'm hesitant to operate on a trial and error mode, because I really need some of the files that were (hopefully) saved in that backup.

The 233 .ddimage files are on my external storage.

What would be the best way to proceed?

I apologize in advance if that is a stupid question!

Thanks,

Dave

Posted : 22/10/2020 3:27 pm
keydet89
(@keydet89)
Community Legend

It's not a stupid question.

1. Make copies of the files in question.

2. Open FTK Imager, add the first image file as an evidence item, and view the contents of the image to ensure that everything is loaded.

3. If you need one complete image, you're in a position to create it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2020 1:06 pm
jaclaz
(@jaclaz)
Community Legend

Dave, can you name the actual recovery DVD you used?

How (exactly) are the resulting images named?

Which size are them? I mean, are they all the same size (which size, in bytes) or are they different sizes?

How large in size is the original?

Is the original a disk (the whole thing) or a partition (or volume, i.e. the "whatever gets a drive letter in windows")?

How large in size is your external storage (and which filesystem it uses) and how much free pace do you have available on it?

Reasons for the above questions.

It is not uncommon that dd-like programs produce "split" files, usually because of some limitations on the storage media where they are to be saved, like (not anymore) floppy size (around 1.5 MB), CD size (around 650 MB), etc. or of the filesystem (FAT32 has a file limit around 4 GB).

233x4 GB would be around 1 TB, not an incredible amount of data but enough to easily result in some "tightness" of free work/storage space and take a bit of time to move around.

jaclaz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2020 4:31 pm
Share: