±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 36228
New Yesterday: 5 Visitors: 223

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

ACE Certification exam --- Requires full version?

Computer forensics training and education issues. If you are looking for topic suggestions for your project, thesis or dissertation please post here rather than the general discussion forum.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

veritas_libertas

ACE Certification exam --- Requires full version?

Post Posted: Aug 29, 11 21:02

I apologize if the answer to this was given on an earlier thread. I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer.

I'm wondering if I need the full version of FTK to take the ACE exam. The web site says you do, but I'm wondering if they are just trying to encourage sales of their product?  

markg43

Re: ACE Certification exam --- Requires full version?

Post Posted: Aug 29, 11 22:08

You do not need the full version to complete the ACE.
There are some memory questions and then some questions based on using the tool against an image they provide.

I took it last year, at that time, you could take it with either FTKv1 or v3. Not sure if that is still the case, I would suggest using V1 as you can use the free limited version.

Good Luck.

MarkG  

veritas_libertas

Post Posted: Aug 29, 11 23:14

Thanks Mark! That is what I figured, but I didn't want to get half-way through the process and half to stop.  

twjolson

Post Posted: Aug 30, 11 00:22

Yea, you don't NEED a full version, but if you want to try and get every point you can, you should.

That said, if you have good stand-ins, a good registry program, a good password cracking program, etc, you could get by. But, you will miss some questions, as some of them deal with full version only features (one example might be creating a report via Registry Viewer).

My advice, play it safe. Find someone with a full version, either a business or a university.  

veritas_libertas

Post Posted: Aug 30, 11 00:38

- twjolson
Yea, you don't NEED a full version, but if you want to try and get every point you can, you should.

That said, if you have good stand-ins, a good registry program, a good password cracking program, etc, you could get by. But, you will miss some questions, as some of them deal with full version only features (one example might be creating a report via Registry Viewer).

My advice, play it safe. Find someone with a full version, either a business or a university.

Well, unfortunately I don't have access to a business or university with FTK. I was hoping I could work on it since it was free. A lack of cash on hand was my reasoning for attempting to get the ACE.  

sgreene2991

Post Posted: Aug 30, 11 00:57

It is true that you don't need FTK, but it does make it a lot easier. There are a couple of practical questions that require you to use Registry Viewer and PRTK. But you might be able to work around those. I did find that it was easier to use FTK than just using FTK Imager.  

twjolson

Post Posted: Aug 30, 11 06:46

- sgreene2991
It is true that you don't need FTK, but it does make it a lot easier.

Plus, and this is my own point of view, what are you going to say when you get into the interview for a job? Yea, I passed the ACE, but I haven't used FTK. Kind of defeats the purpose of a certification.  

Page 1 of 4
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next